Sunday, August 2, 2015

Potato Tower


 I haven't bothered with growing potatoes for a couple of years now, because fun as it is, it's also quite a lot of effort and space for minimal return (I've found). Anyway, on my beloved Pinterest I found pictures and links to 'potato towers' (http://www.growinglotsurbanfarm.com/potato-towers-living-fence-posts/) and being intrigued, I thought I'd give it a whirl. I especially like the minimal amount of ground area this takes up! 

Anyway, all we have here is pea straw, four bags of bought compost, a bit of half-made compost filler from our compost tumbler to add bulk down the bottom of the tower, and two handfuls of Seamungus, one each one third and two thirds of the way up.



 From top to bottom the layers donuts) of potatoes planted in here are:

-King Edward (plus a couple of Kestral from one gone green in the kitchen)
-Bintje
-Nicola
-Royal Blue
-Dutch Cream
-Kipfler

Diggers afficionados will recognise the 'members' mix' of spuds here! No red  varieties though, I'd have liked some but they were not included in the mix and I didn't want to spend any extra money. 

Stay tuned; I will update as we go along, and fingers crossed this works well otherwise it's a bit of an expensive experiment!

No comments: