Monday, September 24, 2012

Potting up tomatoes.

I promised ages ago to show you pictures of my seedlings, but as usual I haven't got around to it, so today here is just a selection: perhaps a quarter of what I have been growing. A lot of these are going to family-members vegie gardens, because there is far more here than I need. Last year I had perhaps 10 different tomato varieties and we were inundated with fruit for most of summer and well into autumn; this year I am trying to be more circumspect.
All of the bigger seedlings I'm going to plant directly into the garden. The smaller plants I'm going to pot on and give away. Known varieties here are Amish Paste (the biggest seedlings, prolific and delicious, great for cooking), Black Russian (one of the better known heirloom varieties) and Wild Sweeties (tiny taste bombs). I'm also growing a ten colour heirloom mix, and a currant mix, both from Diggers.
Incidentally, today I'm also going pot on, or plant out a punnet of sage babies, and another of marjoram. Those are the ring-ins in the pictures.
Which varieties of tomatoes are you growing and eating this year?


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

3 comments:

Liz - Suburban Tomato said...

I'm really pleased with my tomatoes so far this year - they are almost ready for planting out - I will probably do it during the first week of October depending on the weather forecast. I'm growing Rouge de Marmande, Black Cherry, Tiny Tim, KY1, Black Krim and yellow currant that I can remember although I seem to recall sowing more seed than that. Having said that I don't have room for anymore so that will have to be it.

littlekarstar said...

Ive just put a few in too. Hope it's not too humid like it was last year!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

I have not try growing yet the ones you are growing. Although, it has been in my wish list for some time. I just sowed some seeds last week such as Tigerella, Red Cloud and Hillibilly.