Thursday, August 6, 2015

Apples and pears, oh my!


I did it. I held my breath, closed my eyes, and clicked 'order' on six new fruit trees: three apples, and three pears. It's a bit extravagant, but this will really round out my little home orchard. All trees are on dwarfing rootstock, and I've chosen varieties that hopefully will one day see us eating our own fruit from February right through to July (November-January already well covered by other fruit trees in the yard. In order of fruiting, I am getting:

Williams pear (Feb-March) 
Beurre Bosc pear (March, Chef husband's #1 choice) 
Grand Duke Constantine apple (March-April)
Beurre D'Anjou pear (April)
Braeburn apple (May-June)
Pink Lady apple (June-July, my #1 choice). 

I don't have a suitable garden photo today, so in the meantime, please enjoy this Pablo Picasso painting, 'Poires et Pommes,' from 1908. 



No comments: