Sunday, April 10, 2011

Honeymooners

If you ever feel like reading a bit of travel writing, you will find that I recently imported all my old travelling posts into this blog to keep it all together. You see, D and I have a serious travel bug. We've travelled to various parts of South East Asia half a dozen times, as well as living in Japan for a few months. Not a week goes by when I do not find myself looking up flights to exotic destinations (usually around midnight after a rough day), daydreaming about where we'll go next, doing my sums and sighing in despair. It's been a mental battle since I was 17: the question of how to keep travelling the world, and put down roots at the same time.
In one week exactly, D and I will have been married for six years, which gets me thinking about our honeymoon and looking back at some of my favourite photos of that time. In December of 2005 (about 8 months after we married) we left on a 10 week trip to Malaysian Borneo, Brunei, Mainland Malaysia, and Burma with a brief stop in Bangkok. Although I blogged about our trip at the time I never included any photos, so on this rather miserable and cold Sunday afternoon, I thought I'd do it now and over the next few days as there is too much for just one post.
The original photos were taken with a film camera, the last trip we made using this medium, and the first where we started to take better photos. This is when I started to work out what I liked to take photos of: plants, food, movement, worship and spirituality, colour...
Today I'll show you from Sabah in Malaysia Borneo, to Sarawak (also Malaysian Borneo), through to mainland Malaysia and Bangkok in Thailand.
So here we go...
Plant life. Sabah, Borneo.

Night Market. Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
Sabah: Flooded forest frogs

Sabah: Flooded forest frogs. One of my favourite photos of all time.


Sabah. Flooded forest

Night Market. Kota Kinabalu, Sabah

Night Market. Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
Sabah plant life

Sabah. Flooded forest.

Sabah. Flooded forest.

Kuching market. Borneo.

Kuching temple candles.

Kuching temple candles.


Butterfly. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.


Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur.

Cheong Fatt Tze House, Penang, Malaysia.
Khao San Road, Bangkok, Thailand.
Next time: Burma.

No comments: