Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Vegie garden snapshot

Just a quick one today to show you how the vegie garden is looking. Those zucchini plants are looking especially spectacular at the moment! And the tomato at the right - an Amish paste - is much bigger than any of the other tomatoes, which are all elsewhere in pots or another garden bed. The pumpkin and melon plants are all still quite small, but are starting to get flowers, as are the eggplants (centre). I freely admit that the grass matting along the fence isn't great, but the western sun beats down on that iron and plants are getting sizzled on the hot days, so it's there temporarily to help cut down on that reflective heat.


Yesterday we made a shopping trip to Bunnings and I came away with a horseradish plant, some rainbow chard (the roots are coloured too!), some cos lettuce, some spring onion seeds, and an experiment: 'Mr and Mrs Kiwifruit' vines. Since then I have been doing a bit of reading, and I have to say that I didn't realise that kiwifruit could get so big! A plant to watch for sure, let's hope it doesn't take over the backyard, or bring the fence down. Try as I might, I cannot find any information about what cultivar of kiwifruit it is, so I will have to assume it is Hayward, which is the most common and well known.

No comments: