Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bargain plants make for happy gardeners.

We might have moved temporarily to another house, but it hasn't stopped me shopping for the garden and the nature strip takeover.Since we're now within walking distance of the 'Village of Stirling' (which, by the way, is a very pretty place to spend the Autumn even if I am dreading Winter here just a little) I was able to wander up to the monthly Stirling Sunday Market, where I discovered, to my joy, that there were many stalls selling plants and one in particular even had cheap plants (bonus for the gardener on a budget). These little beauties were $2.50 each, or 10 for $20 (5" pots, woot!). Naturally, I got 10 plants without even blinking, asking the plant-guy for bags to put them in as I walked around choosing my babies. 


I got:
Catmint 'Walker's low' (Nepeta × faassenii) because I've read it's a traditional rose under-planting, and very pretty, and attracts bees to the garden.
Pepino Gold (Solanum muricatum) for it's 'melon-like fruit,' even though I've never eaten it in my life.
White butterfly bush x 3 (Gaura lindhermeri) because I've recently fallen in love with it. 
Common Rush (Juncus usitatus) because I'm quite taken with rushes and grasses at the moment.

And to help me in my quest to bring in the birds I bought:
Correa 'Dusky Bells', One of my favourites, as you should know if you're a regular reader. 
Eremophila 'Rottnest Emu Bush' (Red form).
Eremophila maculata compacta (Red form).
Melaleuca fulgens 'CF Payne'.

Those four are Australian natives though not indigenous to my area. Stay tuned for updates on their progress.


No comments: