Friday, February 11, 2011

Upcycling nostalgia.

[This is my addition to the Weekend Rewind at 'And then there were four' for the 19th of August, 2011. I found it hard to choose a post this time, because I try to recycle/upcycle things quite often and blog about it from time to time, talking about everything from baby dresses, to floor joists, to pavers!

Click here to see some of the other things I've tried to reuse.

Click here to see how this little dress ended up on my girl.]

When I was a teenager I used to wear this cami. I'd never wear something that exposed my stomach like that now, and, in fact, I rarely wore it back then. To be truthful, even if I did want to wear it now I doubt I could get it on: I'm still breastfeeding SP and, well, you know the rest... But I've never been able to get rid of this little top because I loved the fabric too much. It's a crinkled sheer white silk printed with pink and blue roses: lovely!

It even has a fine edging of lace around the top.


So I was feeling creative today (you must catch those bursts of creativity and hold them tight to your chest in your hands) and I realised this top was just a tube with straps. It doesn't have so much as a dart to shape it. I washed it and smoothed it flat and left it to dry while I cut out a lining from some cream-coloured poly I found in my fabric stash. I sewed the poly into a similarly sized tube and sewed it inside.


Then I got shirring, and you know how I like shirring! My machine cooperated and I didn't need to re-thread it or tighten any screws even once! With my old cami I've made SP a pixie dress. I left the straps attached and long, and the dress can be used as a top as she grows.


Tomorrow I'll see if SP will stand still long enough for me to take a picture of her in it.


Happy weekend crafting, everybody xx

2 comments:

Shelly - Tropical Mum said...

You are so very clever! I wish I knew how to sew, but alas it is not something I ever took up. I shall just sew vicariously through you. ;)

Visiting from the Rewind.

MultipleMum said...

Nice upcycle! It is lovely material isn't it? Thanks for Rewinding x